At College Prep we believe in the foundational importance of scholarship, the value of dialogue, and the need for academically curious young people to belong to a kind, creative, diverse, and joyful community. We challenge our students to engage deeply in learning, appreciate one another, and grow into adults who are intellectually adventurous, ethically sure-footed, and generous of heart and spirit.
Guided by Mens Conscia Recti, “a mind aware of what is right,” College Prep develops each student's strengths and capacities through an education based on ten core beliefs.
- We value the individuality of our community members and our egalitarian school culture.
- We believe that high expectations, kindled curiosity, and dedicated effort encourage students to discern excellence and strive to do their best.
- We affirm that deep learning requires patience, creativity, reflection, and practice.
- We cultivate an awareness of self and others that is rooted in respect and empathy and emphasizes the importance of taking responsibility for one’s impact and actions.
- We work in a collaborative environment that gives young people opportunities to take risks, express themselves, and appreciate the perspectives and gifts of others.
- We embrace the variety of backgrounds and life experiences within our community and recognize that the rich expression of diversity is essential to a meaningful education.
- We integrate work and play, helping students recognize the elements of a balanced life.
- We foster an understanding of interdependence and stewardship that starts with care for our open-air Oakland campus and extends to our greater community.
- We prepare students to make a positive difference, encouraging engagement in a full array of school activities, and in service and learning opportunities in the broader world.
- We dedicate ourselves, as teachers and mentors, to our own ongoing development, modeling commitment to learning and growth.